SMOKE AND MIRRORS
SEAN WESTON Rookie Cop. (Age 29)
BRUCE MEERS Veteran Cop. (Age 58)
LOWELL Low-Level Cop. (Age 34)
Music: “Scooby Snacks” Fun Loving Criminals.
Sound: Driving in Police Car, Police sirens, Cell phone buzzing on dashboard, Car pulls to stop, Crime scene ambience, Paper shuffling.
SCENE ONE: INT. CAR – DAY
(Sean, Bruce, Lowell)
1. SOUND: Sounds of driving in a police car; on their way to the robbery. Static and random transitioning between radio stations until “Scooby Snacks” is playing on the radio.
2. SEAN: Oh, I love this song.
3. BRUCE: Don’t touch the fuckin’ radio. (Pause) So, this is a shitty way to pop your cherry, isn’t it kiddo?
4. SEAN: Hey, Fuck you. I’m almost thirty?
5. BRUCE: So? You’re my fuckin’ kid’s age.
6. SOUND: The siren sounds as they run through a red light.
7. BRUCE: How are you finding Santa Fe?
8. SEAN: Well, I won’t need my parka anymore.
9. BRUCE: Yeah, you’re from one of the Dakotas, right?
10. SEAN: Yep, Cavalier, North Dakota.
1. BRUCE: Like the car?
2. SEAN: Like the car.
3. BRUCE: Came down to Santa Fe for some excitement?
4. SEAN: (LAUGHS) Nah, this is just where they transferred me. I needed a larger paycheck. Brooke and I have a 4 year old and another one due in August.
5. BRUCE: Sorry to hear that.
6. SEAN: You don’t like kids?
7. BRUCE: None that I’ve met so far.
8. SEAN: Come on, you’ve gotta like your own kids.
9. BRUCE: Kid. And maybe I would have if I ever got to see her. After Susan left me for that department store manager she’d been fucking at work, I didn’t see Wendy until she was in her teens. And by that time Susan had poisoned her enough for her to want absolutely nothing to do with me.
10. SEAN: Sorry to hear that. (PAUSE) You never remarried?
11.BRUCE: (LAUGHS)Sean, you idealist fuck.
1. SOUND: CELL PHONE BUZZING ON THE DASHBOARD
2. SEAN: 9367 (PAUSE) Who’s that? A lady friend?
3. BRUCE: Aren’t you a nosy fucker.
4. SOUND: PICKING UP THE CELLPHONE FROM THE DASHBOARD AND PUTTING IT IN HIS POCKET.
5. BRUCE: Alright, so dispatch said some have been hospitalized for smoke inhalation and a couple people were trampled when shit went down. Two are dead at the scene, including a 5 year old girl.
6. SEAN: Jesus.
7. SOUND: CAR pulls to a stop. Doors open. Car stops and car doors open and the sound of a post robbery can be heard. There’s cops holding back people from coming too close to the scene. (AD LIB Cries of worry: “My wife’s in there!”) Sounds of people doing police work.
8. LOWELL: (DISTANT; COMING CLOSER) About fucking time, Bruce.
1. BRUCE: Sorry, Lowell. Rookie was slowing me down.
2. LOWELL: Sure (PAUSE) So, this is what we know. This was a bank robbery, shit went down, shots were fired, smoke canister went off an everyone panics. Three people were trampled and taken to hospital. Two people are dead. Looks like one of the dead guys was in on it. No ID, no plastic, no nothing. I mean other than the guns and smoke canisters.
3. SOUND: FLAHSBULBS GOING OFF As they walk from the car into the bank. Opening door. Atmosphere sounds change from outdoor to indoor.
4. SEAN: The other person (PAUSE) Bruce was telling me it was a little girl.
5. LOWELL: (SIGHS) Stray bullet apparently. She was standing by the clown.
6. BRUCE: Wait, there was a clown?
7. LOWELL: Yah, there was some kind of clown, entertaining at the bank today. He’s one of the only people who saw anything. We’ve got the Clown, the uh, (PAUSE)
1. SOUND: PAPER SHUFFLING
2. LOWELL: Annette, the bank teller, and the little girl’s father. They’re the only people who saw anything before the smoke canisters went off. We have them separated in various rooms inside the bank whenever you’re ready.
3. SEAN: Who should we talk to first?
4. BRUCE: Not that father, that’s for sure.
5. SEAN: So the clown or the bank teller?
6. BRUCE: Rookie’s choice.
7. SEAN: Let’s do the Clown.
8. LOWELL: Good luck.
9. SEAN: What do you mean?
10. LOWELL: (LAUGHS) You’ll see.
11. BRUCE: Ready for your first interview in the big city?
9. MUSIC: TRANSITION MUSIC (SCOOBY SNACKS)